Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipe: A Blue Breakfast

I have been eating egg white blueberry oatmeal for the past week for breakfast. It's perfect for a cold morning because it's thick and filling. I must admit before egg whites in my oats kind of grossed me out at first but it wasn't until I was in Hong Kong where it grew on me. The whites make the oatmeal creamier and thicker and you don't even taste them. Here's the recipe!

1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of egg whites (3 large eggs)
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
Optional: cinnamon and apple pie spice

Place oats and water onto the stove and add cinnamon and apple pie spice if you wish. While waiting for oats to boil, separate egg yolk and egg whites. Once oats start to bubble add egg whites and stir until the clear liquid turns white. Finally stir in blueberries.

A few notes, I know apple pie spice sounds odd to pair with blueberries but it combines to make a wonderful flavor. You may want to leave the oats on the stove for another minute or two after adding the frozen blueberries as it cools the oats a bit. Just remember to keep on stirring so that it doesn't stick to the pot.

 The finished product:


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment