Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Fitness Journey

I first dabbled into fitness when I was in college.  My freshman roommate was into going to the gym and working out.  At that point in time I was probably 35 to 40 pounds heavier than I am now.  I lost around 15 to 20 pounds my freshman year thanks to my healthy influence.  Honestly I don't remember too much about my workout routine, it was probably more cardio than anything and having friends as workout partners.  This carried throughout my college career.  I do remember senior year loving Splenda.  I always remember adding 2 packets to my morning oatmeal every day.  (I cringe now, but you live and learn.)  Fast forward to after graduation, I had back surgery that July for a herniated disc and a bone chip floating around.  January 2007 I landed my first office job and became sedatary.  Within that time frame, I gained all of the weight that I lost in college and remember picking out capris that summer in my old size pre-college.  Then I vowed to myself I wouldn't be this weight again.  One night I stumbled upon some healthy living blogs.  I specifically remember Tina's blog the most,  This started my official healthier living that I have maintained today.  At that time I started an exercise regimen and was introduced to Turbo Jam.  I was drawn to it because it looked like a lot of fun.  Chalene is a fantastic motivator and the workouts seem to fly by because it didn't feel like I was working out.  Working out combined with eating nutritious foods helped me to drop the weight and keep it off since 2007.

Fast forward to now: my workouts now are short and effective.  Honestly I don't have the attention span to do more than hour of exercise.  I did do a month of Insanity last year but I got burnt out on it.  I loved how Insanity got my heart rate up but the length of the workouts were sometimes a drag.  Enter Shaun T's new workout, FOCUS T25.  Can I say how excited I am to try it?! 25 minutes of pure sweat with minimal equipment (yoga mat, resistance band and a pair of weights).  It's scheduled release is for June of this year, and I am marking it on my calendar.  I love to workout at home and Beachbody's programs make it easier to get in a quality workout without having to drive to the gym.




*Disclaimer: I was contacted by Beachbody to do this review. I did not receive any compensation for this post.  This review is my sole opinion only.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE SHAUN T. He's so dreamy. I did the first month of Insanity and it really was nuts.



    Beachbody's programs seem pretty spot-on; my husband raaaves about p90x :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried some of the P90x workouts too and love their kenpo, plyo and yoga workouts. Yes Shaun T is easy on the eyes, one of the pluses to the workout. Lol

    ReplyDelete